Topanga Neighborhood Info
Many people are surprised to find that it’s possible to live a peaceful, country life so close to Los Angeles and Hollywood. Topanga has long been a refuge that’s attracted artists, musicians, writers and other creative people who want to live close to nature and away from the hustle and bustle of urban life, with the world-class opportunities and entertainment of Los Angeles and Hollywood an easy 45-minute commute away. Closer in, the glamour of Malibu is an easy couple of miles up the iconic Pacific Coast Highway, or wind your way down movie star-mansion studded Sunset Boulevard to the shopping and nightlife of West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. And then come home to the laid-back, serene Topanga lifestyle. Topanga truly has it all.
Population: Approximately 8,289 (source: 2010 US census data)
Elevation: 1,084 ft above sea level
Unemployment in Topanga Canyon is 5.7% — substantially lower than the national average. (source: 2010 US census data)
Climate: Topanga’s ideal location in the mountains just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean means that the temperature in Topanga tends to be markedly cooler that it is inland in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills or the San Fernando Valley.
98% of residents have earned a high school degree or higher. 71% of residents hold college degrees. 27% of those hold a master’s degree or higher. (Source: 2010 US census data)
Fun Facts About Topanga
Jim Morrison allegedly wrote the lyrics to Roadhouse Blues while driving up Topanga Canyon Boulevard.
Neil Young recorded most of his iconic album, After the Gold Rush, in the basement of his Topanga home in 1970.
Topanga State Park is one of the largest open space preserves surrounded by a city in the world
Topanga Canyon is featured as a location in numerous pop culture references, including HBO’s Six Feet Under, Boy Meets World, the bestselling novel “Tortilla Curtain,” and legendary singer/songwriter Billy Joel’s “Getting Closer.”
Many famous people have made Topanga Canyon their home, including: Neil Young, Chris Robinson, Billy Preston, Marvin Gaye, Joni Mitchell, Stephen Stills, Bernie Leadon of the Eagles and the Flying Burrito Brothers, Don Felder of the Eagles, Gram Parsons, Jim Morrison and John Densmore of the Doors, Mick Fleetwood, Spanky McFarland, Richie Hayward and Fred Tackett of Little Feat, Big Joe Turner, Alice Cooper, Van Morrison, Sissy Spacek, Louis Gossett Jr., Emile Hirsch, Viggo Mortensen, Lisa Bonet, Teri Garr, Wendie Malick, Keith Carradine, Luke Wilson, Ricky Schroder, Dennis Hopper, Amber Tamblyn, Lynn Redgrave, Andy Dick, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Bertolt Brecht, Carole Lombard, Shirley Temple, Johnny Weissmuller, Mickey Rooney, Tia Carrere and Ida Lupino.
Most Topanga residents are zoned to schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Topanga Elementary School
- A choice between Revere Charter Middle School or Woodland Hills Academy (formerly known as Parkman Middle School)
- A choice between Palisades Charter High School and Taft High School
Some portions are in the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD). Those portions are zoned to Webster Elementary School and Malibu High School.
The Canyon is also served by a number of highly-regarded private institutions.
- Children’s Corner (310) 455-246
- Topanga Co-op Preschool: 1440 N Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-3155
- Topanga Montessori School: 1459 Old Topanga Canyon Rd (310) 455-3373
- Viewpoint School: 23620 Mulholland Highway (818) 340-2901
- Topanga Elementary School: 141 Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-3711
- John L. Webster Elementary: 3602 Winter Canyon Rd (310) 456-6494
- Paul Revere Middle School: 1450 Allenford Ave (310) 917-4800
- Woodland Hills Academy: 20800 Burbank Blvd (818) 226-2900
- Malibu High School: 30215 Morning View Dr (310) 457-6801
- Palisades High School: 15777 Bowdoin St (310) 454-0611
- Taft High School: 5461 Winnetka Avenue (818) 227-3600
Annual Festivals & Events
- Topanga Banjo – Fiddle Contest & Folk Festival: (818) 382-4819
- Topanga Canyon Blues & Heritage Festival (714) 229-0643
- Topanga Earth Day
- Topanga Canyon Gallery Studio
- Topanga Days (818) 932-9795
- Topanga Swap Meet & Chili Cook Off
- Topanga Elementary Silent Auction
- Annual performance of The Nutcracker: (310 455-2898)
- Topanga Elementary Halloween Carnival (310) 455-3711
- Topanga Chamber of Commerce Party Carnival (310) 455-7090
Cultural Opportunities & Outdoor Recreation
Topanga Canyon is one of L.A.’s most beautiful spots. It’s surrounded by state parks and runs right into the Pacific Ocean. Hiking, camping, swimming, surfing and horseback riding is all at your fingertips. It’s also home to The Will Geer Theatrical Botanicum which presents theater in a gorgeous outdoor setting.
- Mill Creek Equestrian Center 1881 Old Topanga Cyn Rd (310) 455-1116
- Red Rock Canyon Park 23601 W Red Rock Rd
- Topanga Canyon State Beach 20825 Entrada Rd (818) 880-0350
- Topanga State Park (310) 455-2465
- Edelman Park (dog friendly)
- LA Horseback Riding: 818 591 2032
- Topanga Coyote Club Pine Circle 120 N. Topanga Canyon Suite 117 (310) 455-3700
- The Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum 1419 N Topanga Cyn Blvd (310) 455-2322
- Topanga Symphony (310) 455-1661 OR (818) 591-8477
- Belly Dancing- Melanie Kareem
Companion Animals & Wildlife
Topanga is a very animal-friendly community. Living in the Canyon is a great lifestyle for your pets, though we recommend keeping your cats and small animals inside due to the coyotes that roam the canyon in the evenings. There are lots of places to walk your dog, including Red Rocks and Edelman State Parks and the quiet side streets that wind through the canyon. There are multiple dog training, sitting, boarding and rescue resources available, as well as a veterinarian.
- Angel Puss & Pooch Rescue 818-888-7877
- Animal Clinic of Topanga 310-455 1330
- Aussie Pet Mobile Grooming 888-677-PETS(7387)
- Bow WOW! Dog Walking-Pet Sitting 818-719-9256
- Canyon Animal Care 310-455-4018
- Canyon View Training Ranch for Dogs 310-455-7897
- Dog Calls Mobile Dog Grooming Services 310-455-4206
- Horse Training 818 398 6916
- Kat’s Quality Pet Care 818-591-9575
- Puppy Pals Doggy Hikes & Socials 310-573-0245
- Topanga Animal Rescue 310-455-SCOT
- Topanga Pet Resort 310-455-9663
Topanga is also home to a diverse collection of wildlife, including bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, deer, rabbits, badgers, owls, and a host of other creatures, including over two dozen sensitive species (meaning that they are uniquely adapted to live in Topanga’s natural habitat). Topanga has several wildlife rescue and preservation societies, and even a Whale Rescue organization!
- Whale Rescue Team 310-455-2729
- Wildworks Wildlife Rescue 310-455-0550
- The California Wildlife Center 310-457-WILD
Places of Worship
- Christian Science Society 139 Old Topanga Cyn Rd (310) 455-1660
- First Baptist Church 1459 Old Topanga Cyn Rd
- Rock Church of Topanga 22855 W. Mulholland Hwy (888) 476-ROCK
- Tree of Life Christian Church 22019 Vanowen St #F (818) 610-1715
- Topanga Christian Fellowship 269 Old Topanga Cyn Rd (310) 455-1048
- Topanga Gathering PO Box 1223 (310) 455-0836
- Chabad of Topanga 1459 Old Topanga Canyon Road (310) 455-1597
- Art of Living Topanga Conscious Community – Agape (310) 348-1250
Buying or selling a home in Topanga has a few unique angles to it. I’ve been helping people buy and sell in Topanga for over 21 years. Please feel free to call or email me anytime and I’ll be glad to help!
Chryssa Lightheart, Pritchett-Rapf Topanga, 310.455.4363
For a small community, Topanga has several great choices for dining, from casual coffee houses and lunch spots to the noted destination restaurant, Inn of the Seventh Ray, famous throughout LA for its romantic atmosphere and innovative new age cuisine. Nightlife in the area centers on local restaurants like Abulita”s and Froggy’s.
- Abuelita’s Mexican Restaurant 137 S Top Cyn Blvd (310) 455-8788
- Froggy’s 1105 N Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-1728
- Inn of the Seventh Ray 128 Old Top Cyn Rd (310) 455-1311
- Cafe Mimosa 395 S Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-4341
- Pat’s Topanga Grill 1861 N Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-0533
- The Waterlily Cafe 120 S Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-0401
- Roccos Italian Restaurant:(310) 455-2487
- Reel Inn (310) 456-8221
- Canyon Bistro 120 N Topanga Canyon Blvd. #119 (310) 455-7800
The shops are as colorful as the people who own them. The Man Store is a wonderful stop to find a gift for any male in your life. Hidden Treasures lives up to its name with vintage clothes, furniture and more. And of course, the world-class destination shopping of Beverly Hills, West Hollywood and Santa Monica are just minutes away.
- Bouboulina 108 S Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-1917
- Gorgeous Goddess Wear 2716 Marquette Dr (310 ) 455-1603
- Hidden Treasures 154 S Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-2998
- Topanga Homegrown 120 S Topanga Canyon Blvd (310) 455-8781
- Topanga Canyon Gallery 120 N Topanga Canyon Blvd (866)935-8278
There are also several small local grocery stores with a lot of local charm:
- Fernwood Market 446 S Topanga Canyon Blvd 310-455-2412
- Country Natural Foods 415 S Topanga Canyon Blvd 310-455-3434
- Topanga Creek General Store 141 S Topanga Canyon Blvd 310-455-1250
Living in Topanga Canyon is great for creating a healthy lifestyle. But just in case you do get sick, Full-facility hospitals and medical centers are available a few miles up Topanga Canyon Boulevard in Woodland Hills and Canoga Park. For non-emergencies, there are also few small providers, both traditional and alternative, available in the canyon itself.
- Topanga Dental 9800 N Topanga Canyon Blvd. (818) 576-0600
- Topanga Medical 395 S Topanga Canyon Blvd. (310) 455-2019
- Massage: Sienna Skin Care (310) 455 8696
- Chiropractic: Nancy Marcucuella (310) 455-2225
- Acupuncture: Stacey Small (310) 355-0652, Richard Grossman (310) 293-9475, Bridgette Perrin (310) 456-8811
- Water: L.A. County Waterworks (310) 456-6621
- Cable TV: Charter Communications (866)499-8080
- Electric: Southern California Edison (800) 684-8123
- AmeriGas (310) 455-2131
- Delta Liquid Energy (818) 838-4400
- Pro-Flame (800) 479-9059
- Suburban Propane: (805) 526-1371
- Telephone/High Speed Internet:
- Verizon (800) 483-1000
- Charter Communications (cable/high speed internet) 1-888-438-2427
There are no 24-hour ATMs or gas stations in the Canyon, so it is essential to plan ahead!